What a great start to the week! In the beginning, when given the task, I was a little bit disoriented. Fortunately, brief examples and a sense of direction given by lecturers were helpful and gave me confidence and inspiration. Once I started rambling around the boat, everything became more apparent and started flowing.
Beforehand, I put on some suitable to the mood music, then I decided to work in order of cello tape, blu tack, and tin foil.
I found it very effortless to utilize cello tape, as I discovered throughout the task how much of an engaging medium it can be. I would never have thought it holds such potential. I produced four versions of cello tape: sugar, spider webs from the material hanging from the ceiling, floor surface from the entrance of the boat, and fingerprints. I considered the background and concluded it needs an intense color to bring out the minuscule elements. I chose red for that purpose and took the experiment outside to photograph it in the sharp light of the midday sun.
When I tried to position a fingerprint cello tape to photograph it, I accidentally pushed it up, which created captivating outcomes of shapes and shades as well as a reflection and shadow of fingerprints in the brightness of the sun. I experimented with it further, producing a variety of curious results.
I really enjoyed working with blu tack. It was very inspiring, making me think of combinations of surfaces that would work together. I decided on imprinting the chain from my sunglasses, decoration of a face, and an antler from a skull my dad found in a local to him forest in Poland. I was very content with the results. I adore the imprinted textures, particularly the antler, as well as a disturbing face print with pieces of paint that came off the picture embedded in blu tack.
I found tin foil to be less exciting than other materials. Consequently, I am not ecstatic about the results I have achieved working with it. Perhaps given some more time and thought, I could explore further and find my creative way with it. I covered in the foil the following objects: an olive oil bottle, a heart-shaped decoration, and a bowler hat.
I did the preparation and arrangements inside the boat and took the results outside to photograph, adding the red sheet of paper and employing the wooden platform as an additional attractive component of the photographs’ background.
Today’s workshop has unquestionably expanded my perspective on the materials and objects that one could encompass and use within art and photography. I acquired a newfound understanding of materials and textures and learned how to consolidate them. What works and what doesn’t, but also to alliance the inconceivable. It was a very thought-provoking activity, and I certainly relished and benefited from it.